Facilitating better communication and collaboration with a corporate intranet portal.
Industry: financial services; Solution area: intranets, collaboration
With over 30 locations province wide and a continually more mobile workforce, our client was looking for a way to inspire the same family-like atmosphere and team collaboration that they had when they were just one branch over 75 years ago. Leveraging the SharePoint platform and our skills and intellectual property, we built them an intranet portal that did just that.
Our client’s goal: improve and encourage company-wide communication.
As one of Ontario’s largest credit unions – with hundreds of employees and over thirty locations across the province – our client was looking for a way to keep everyone in their organization on the same page and inspire a more “family-like” atmosphere. They wanted a comprehensive system that provided the right information, to the right people, at the right time.
What the system needed to achieve their goals:
- Home page with latest important info., such as company announcements (upcoming events, latest company news, etc.), foreign exhange and interest rates, etc., including with social media integration.
- Calendaring events, meetings, etc., and subsequent notifications.
- Push alerts to allow management to send notifications to intended audience, whether it be individual employees or departments/teams (e.g. to complete a task, to inform them of recent news, etc.).
- Document storage with search capabilities to securely store and easily find information.
- User specific, to allow for all features to be tailored to individual users depending on their role.
The MRS technology team architected, designed, and implemented a state-of-the-art employee intranet that fully realized our client’s vision. We leveraged our extensive experience with SharePoint and employed a collaborative solution delivery methodology in which the client was involved in major design decisions to ensure it was exactly what they wanted. Features include:
- Individual user-specific landing pages and user-specific capabilities.
- A “two-click” design rule to ensure that was needed could be found in two clicks or less.
- Social media integration.
- Trending topics tags to show users what other employees are talking about.
- The “my vault” page, which serves as a task-scheduler and reminder.
- Document and file management to better manage projects and tasks, avoid duplicating different renditions of the same documents, showing who edited what, and when, etc.
- Designed to match our client’s branding and corporate culture.
A sound and functional employee portal is a necessary tool for any communication or knowledge management department. By instituting a central intranet, company events and news can be disseminated immediately across the entire business. Necessary information and documents can be acquired quickly. And finally, employees are empowered to communicate with each other more effectively. This helps employees feel a greater sense of connection with their organization and to internalize the culture.
In two weeks since going live with the system, more of our client’s employees have edited their personal profiles more than in the previous five years!
Our client views communication as the lifeblood of innovation and MRS is proud that we have helped them to innovate using our experiences and our technical capabilities.