FirstOntario Credit Union builds on modern/digital workplace initiative, connects thousands of members across the province with custom cloud-based SharePoint intranet portal
FirstOntario is a leading Ontario-based credit union. Established in 1939 with just a small group of employees, 80 years later the company provides services to over 125,000 members and has several branches across the province. The company prides itself in creating a pristine, family-like experience for all members and employees and views effective communication as the lifeblood of innovation at their organization.
With hundreds of employees working across over 30 Ontario branches, FirstOntario Credit Union was searching for ways to fuel greater collaboration and foster a more familial feeling despite the inevitable geographic dispersion that came with their growth. The proliferation of digital technologies such as mobile devices and the cloud meant there was great potential to accomplish this feat. The company wanted to instill a modern application that could provide necessary news and information to all members and employees and allow all stakeholders to interact far more effectively together on one centralized digital communications platform.
MRS worked with FirstOntario Credit Union to envision and architect a custom, comprehensive SharePoint intranet portal to help the organization achieve their goal of enhancing employee/member collaboration and modernizing their workforce. Our role in the project was to lead and manage the systems development lifecycle (SDLC) front-to-back, including working with stakeholders to identify business needs and technical requirements, architecting the application and providing user onboarding support and technical training.
The features of the custom SharePoint intranet portal include, but are not limited to:
- Home page/landing site with the latest important information and updates, such as company announcements (upcoming events, company news, etc.), foreign exchange and interest rates, etc.
- User specific to allow for all features to be tailored to individual users depending on their role
- User profiles and direct messaging capabilities
- Social media integration/live feeds
- Trending topics tags to show users what other employees are talking about/interested in
- Calendaring events, meetings, etc., and subsequent push notifications/reminders
- Push alerts to allow management to send notifications to intended audience, whether it be individual employees or departments/teams (e.g. to complete a task, to inform them of recent news, etc.)
- Cloud-based document storage with search capabilities to securely store information and make it easily accessible
- A “two-click” design rule to ensure that was needed could be found in two clicks or less
- Document and file management to better manage projects and tasks, avoid duplicating different renditions of the same documents, showing who edited what, and when, etc.
A modern corporate intranet portal is a necessary tool for organizations to communicate effectively in today’s digital-driven business landscape. For FirstOntario, by instituting a central intranet, company events and news can be disseminated immediately across the entire business, necessary information and documents can be acquired quickly and hassle-free, and finally, employees are empowered to communicate and collaborate amongst each other more effectively regardless of physical location. This helps employees feel a greater sense of connection and engagement with their organization and drastically improved the corporate culture!