Power BI Embedded enhances capabilities of alertdriving's industry-leading learning management system (LMS)
alertdriving is a specialist in online driver risk management solutions. The company’s innovative learning management system (LMS) is used by over a million drivers worldwide and helps organizations across 125 countries reduce collisions, injuries, operating costs and liability exposure with best-in-class fleet driver training and behavioral analysis programs. MRS Company has played a significant role in the development of key facets of the application and in this case, the alertdriving team turned to the advanced analytics and business intelligence (BI) expertise of MRS Company to enhance the reporting capabilities of the platform.
Customers of alertdriving need full visibility and an in-depth understanding of their fleet employees’ interaction with the LMS platform. Managers and administrators require customizable, flexible and scalable data reporting on driver enrollment, progress, compliance, and other key performance indicators at various levels to ensure their drivers are sufficiently trained and that their organization is taking the necessary steps to create safe and risk-averse working conditions.
Furthermore, customers wanted more personalized and data-driven programs that could target and identify persistent collision causes, monitor unique areas of fleet risk, compare accident rates before and after participation in the training programs and map driver test scores to real-world scenarios such as crash types, costs and severity. This would enable them to use data to implement training programs more tailored to their needs.
MRS Company’s BI and data architects built an embedded analytics solution leveraging the flexible and robust capabilities of Microsoft Power BI and Power BI Embedded. The solution extracts and amalgamates data from a myriad of sources and incorporates a comprehensive reporting and data visualization tool that works seamlessly within the LMS portal. This enables managers and system administrators of alertdriving customers to access and interact with the reports on the same platform that they already use, drastically simplifying the user experience and giving them fast and easy access to insights that help them assess and optimize their company’s usage of the LMS. In using Power BI Embedded rather than developing a custom reporting tool from the ground up, development costs for alertdriving were significantly reduced and the time-to-market was greatly accelerated – all while still allowing for the detailed customizations and flexibility that the company needed.
The solution includes:
- Administrative reporting pages and dashboards: Managers and system admins have access to comprehensive reporting pages and dashboards within their LMS portal where they can see status updates on each of their drivers (e.g. courses completed, courses required, etc.), aggregate test results, average test scores, average time to completion, etc.
- Customized, flexible data reporting: Visual data reports on leading collision causes and training performance help management easily identify company-specific problem areas and sources of driver risk unique to their businesses.
- Driver compliance monitoring: From course status to quiz attempts and test scores, in-depth reporting on every driver helps managers monitor and enforce compliance to their company’s training and driver readiness policies.
- Comprehensive collision analysis: With complex A/B reporting that compares crash rates before and after the training program and maps granular data from test results to crash types, costs and severity, managers are able to measure the overall effectiveness of their training programs and identify correlations between testing and real-world situations. This helps management proactively identify risk, what areas of the training sufficiently mitigate such risk and what areas of the training need improvements.
- Market data comparisons: Market data is gathered, aggregated and displayed to help managers identify risk exposure unique to certain geographic regions and how their own crash types, costs and severity compare to general market rates. For example, multinational organizations can determine what crash types are more frequent in a given country or region compared to others, and whether or not the level of crashes they are experiencing is below, on par with or above the average in that region.
alertdriving now offers customers detailed, personalized, scalable and user-friendly data reports on thousands of drivers within their organizations and across the globe. This further extends the capabilities of their best-in-class risk management solution and addresses a need voiced by both current and prospective customers. And by utilizing the robust yet highly flexible and customizable capabilities of Microsoft Power BI and Power BI Embedded, the company was able to reduce overhead development costs associated with building a completely custom data visualization tool. alertdriving continues to work with MRS Company for various project management and development roles of their fleet driver risk management solutions.