Our client, one of Ontario’s largest Credit Unions, had previously attempted to build an employee intranet portal using an older version of Microsoft SharePoint. Adoption and usage rates of this intranet lagged behind management’s expectations and by their own definition, the portal had turned into a “storage cabinet” for documents which no one would access.
Our client’s Communications department recognized the need for a fresh approach to the new portal. The ultimate goal was to simulate and encourage company-wide communication; Deliver timely financial and industry news; and also inspire a “family-like” atmosphere and collaboration across the enterprise.
M.R.S. Company partnered with our client’s IT department and their Communications/Knowledge Management Group to build and deploy a comprehensive employee portal that met and fulfilled the specific goals that were set.
A joint intranet team composed of M.R.S. consultants and client representatives developed a vision of how the intranet should function. Findings included:
- Search would need to play a key role in the user interface since employees often needed to locate documents and access resources instantly.
- Access to key data on the home page is necessary to prominently display up-to-date financial data such as Foreign Exchange and Interest Rates.
- Calendaring and notifications for business and internal events was critical to foster a sense of community participation and encourage wide participation.
- Push alerts are required to allow management to send out notifications that will reach intended audience quickly across the enterprise.
- Social media integration was also a key requirement to inform all constituents of noteworthy company and industry news.
The M.R.S. technology team architected, designed, and implemented a state-of-the-art employee intranet that fully realized our client’s vision. We leveraged our extensive experience with SharePoint 2013 and employed a collaborative solution delivery methodology in which the client was involved in major design decisions.
The many features of the new intranet include:
- Allowing each user to see a landing page specific to them, with access to information required for their role in the company.
- A “two-click” design rule was applied so that each user is able to find necessary information in two clicks or less.
- The homepage also displays company event calendars and is connected to the company Twitter feed so that employees can be up-to-date without leaving the page.
- A list of trending tags will help users to explore current trends to see what other people in their network are talking about.
- The “My Vault” page also serves as a task scheduler reminding each employee the tasks needing attention.
- Many SharePoint environments edit documents (for co-authoring) at the team site level, which creates a copy for each team working on the document. Our design stores documents in one central repository (for content authoring with permissions and workflows set up) to eliminate duplication, increase system performance and better organize the document library.
- Lastly, the portal design is consistent with our client’s design principles to promote and support their organizational culture.
A sound and functional employee portal is a necessary tool for any Communication or Knowledge Management department. By instituting a central intranet, company events and news can be disseminated immediately across the entire business. Necessary information and documents can be acquired quickly. And finally, employees are empowered to communicate with each other more effectively. This helps employees feel a greater sense of connection with their organization and to internalize the culture.
In two weeks since going live with the system, more of our client’s employees have edited their personal profiles than in the previous five years!
Our client views communication as the lifeblood of innovation and M.R.S. is proud that we have helped them to innovate using our experiences and our technical capabilities.
Our SharePoint specialists have significant practical experience architecting, building and deploying small, medium and large scale solutions. This practical experience, combined with our proven and field tested processes, methodologies and best practices ensure that the job gets done properly.
M.R.S. is a full-service, relationship-centric IT consultancy firm offering our clients a compelling on-shore alternative to building and delivering best in class technology solutions. We bring experience, expertise and software development processes, refined during 35+ years of diverse client engagements, to deliver complete IT solutions that significantly improve operating efficiencies.