I am sure before this post itself, you would know that SharePoint 2013 comes with certain features for schools & institutes but these features can be activated from your User Interface. In order to activate these features you would need help from a good old SharePoint developer.
But just in case this is a breaking news for you – Yes !!! there are certain hidden features in SharePoint 2013. I am not sure if Microsoft really supports these features (most probably not), but then since it’s developed by Microsoft, I think we can always extend it or customize it for our specific needs. I think these features can not only help developing solutions for schools but can be customized to develop out of the box Learning Management System.
Enough talking, let’s go through the feature set.
In order to install Education feature, you need to do the following
- Create a web application and create root site collection (template doesn’t matter, choose any)
- Make sure user profile & manage metadata service applications are configured properly (Mysites, Content Type hub – configured in MMS proxy properties too)
- Search Center is configured
- Then run Install-SPEduSites command in powershell with Farm Admin account
This will create 4 site collections
- Academic Library
- Study Group
- Manage Class & Group – through this link you can create classes(courses) and groups. You can manage the status of the course/class.
- Import Data from spreadsheet – use this in case you would like import user, classes, membership related data from a CSV file.
- Results & Reports – place to view results & reports
- Manage Group Creation Links – use this in case you would like to provide users the ability to link to the appropriate Office Group management experience.
After clicking Manage Class & Group link, you will see the following.
Now let’s create a class/course
Once you click create, it will take around 5-10 minutes before the course site is created. Education Bulk Operations Time job can be configured to run it on a custom cycle basis.
After timer job is run and with some customization the new course site can look like following:
Now just to give walk through of this newly created course/class site, below I will share few screenshots but won’t do any explanation as I feel those are straightforward to understand.
Now some screenshots related to other sites created with education feature installation
I hope you like this hidden feature in SharePoint.
Would like to know more about this feature? Or have a requirement for Learning Management System based on SharePoint? Or want to discuss SharePoint in general? You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
How can M.R.S. Company help?
- 35 years of Quality Service
- Harmonized Business Model
- Leaders in developing SharePoint solutions
- Certified SharePoint resources for your project
- SharePoint – consulting, migration, custom development, mobility, cloud solutions, business intelligence solutions, re factoring, managing legacy solutions – we are hub for all your SharePoint needs.